[bc-gnso] FW: DRAFT Charter for BC/based on staff iniital draft

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Tue Oct 20 12:42:56 UTC 2009

this looks great to me.  a bit of the old, a bit of the new and a
strong emphasis on "transitional" so that we can resolve some of the
issues when we're not under quite so much time pressure.  i support
this approach.

thanks for all the hard work Marilyn.  especially given the medical
issues.  that really sounds dreadful -- your draft is a great
demonstration of your commitment to the BC.

mikey

On Oct 19, 2009, at 4:47 PM, Marilyn Cade wrote:

> Dear BC members
>
> I was fortunate to have the opportunity to talk to Rob Hoggarth,
> ICANN staff on other topics, and learned that the ICANN staff
> forwarded a 'minimal' charter mark up document to the BC officers in
> August, 2009. I've posted as BC_Charter-revisions... etc.
>
> At that time, this document represented the minimal changes to meet
> the ICANN Board expectations for changes.
> However, the BC membership has expressed an interest in having a
> significant change in organizational structure.
>
> The BC officers, and some members worked on a signficant rewrite of
> the existing Charter and that was presented for a vote, and then,
> withdrawn in recognition of the members concerns.
>
> The status is that the membership do not support holding a vote on
> the extremely detailed version of the BC Charter that was presented.
>
> Nevertheless, the Charter that was developed in the BC officer
> process included a significant modification that most members
> support -- the creation of a executive committee.
>
> After exploring the staff developed 'minimal mark up' version, I
> took the BC officer developed version, extracted the section on new
> organizational structure, and added in some enhancements, according
> to what I have 'discerned' from the BC list exchanges.
>
> The new draft that I present, as a BC member, has the following
> characteristics:
>
> a six month life cycle
> a distributed accountability and leadership approach
> recognition of the key role of the policy councilors and a longer
> term to their roles
> freezing any payment of dues while the membership works out what is
> reasonable and sustainable
>
> None of the controversial issues of sanctioning or 'disciplining'
> members is dealt with, since that deserves broader and longer term
> discussion. so the status quo exists for any such actions.
>
> The Credentials Committee remains in place, but for six months, with
> renewal as is, for a next term of 1 1/2 years.
>
> there is a new CSG representative role in the new executive
> committee, since the reality is that everyone will be extremely
> busy, and the BC deserves to have all players able to devote their
> time to their respective roles. The '6 month officers' will be
> consumed with overseeing the development of a full charter.
>
> I don't expect this to be perfect, but it uses the existing charter
> as a basis, provides 'mark up', makes only those changes that seem
> to have 'rough agreement' by various posting BC members, and creates
> a path forward.
>
> I have cc' Rob Hoggarth, since I am using a document that I
> requested from him.
>
> I would like to propose a BC membership discussion on the list, and
> as appropriate, a 'remote participation' in Seoul.
>
> I understand that all of the BC councilors are funded to travel to
> Seoul, including Philip Sheppard, outgoing BC councilor, so we can
> [...]

phone 	651-647-6109
fax  		866-280-2356
web 	www.haven2.com
handle	OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook,
Google, etc.)