[bc-gnso] Nominating Committee - Large Business nominations

Rick Anderson RAnderson at interborder.ca
Fri Sep 4 15:05:55 UTC 2009

I'd like to thank the officers for re-opening the nomination and
election of the large business seat on the NomCom, and I encourage
others to step forward if they are interested.

I have pasted in below two recent posts on this subject...I was a bit
surprised that Phillip at least now appears to deem the NomCom's
specification that the BC shall have "two voting delegates, one
representing small business users and one representing large business
users" as to be essentially meaningless in practice, with no distinction
as to candidacy, voting etc between the two types of user.

Back in July, when nominations for these two positions were first
opened, the BC Secretariat pointed out that "uniquely, the BC has two
places on the Nominating Committee; one for small business and one for
large business".  Back then, the BC Secretariat stated that "Candidates
cannot stand for both", which would seem a rather logical expression of
the idea that one is either fish or fowl.

In any event, this sprit of egalitarianism gives rise to the hope that
if we in the BC no longer perceive a difference as to large and small
amongst our categories of member, that we large company members who pay
six times as much in membership fees as do micro enterprise members
(1000 euros versus 160 euros) shall soon be extended the same
egalitarianism.

I do not expect that, and I would respectfully suggest that if the BC is
serious about recruiting more large enterprise members, that it not be
so entirely casual about collecting bonus membership fees based on our
size, and then entirely disregard the notion that seats which ICANN
explicitly sets aside to foster the participation of large (and small)
business members can really just be filled by anyone, that a seat for
small business users and a seat for large business users can simply
morph into two seats filled by small business users....if the situation
were reversed and both these seats both came to be filled by members
from large enterprises I can only imagine the hue and cry...

Anyway, I know this shall seem self-serving, and in a sense it is.  But
there is also a principle here, one which goes to ICANN's entire - and
sometimes awkward - mission of engaging stakeholders from multiple
backgrounds and carefully trying to appreciate and balance all of those
various interests.  Respecting that principle in spirit and in action is
really what the BC, GNSO and ICANN are about; if we ever forget that
matter of engaging and respecting the various stakeholder groups and let
things degenerate into whoever has the votes for whatever on a given
day, we shall have lost our way.

cheers/Rick

Rick Anderson
EVP, InterBorder Holdings Ltd.