[bc-gnso] Nomcom election

Philip Sheppard philip.sheppard at aim.be
Mon Sep 7 08:07:21 UTC 2009

Marilyn,
thank you for informing us about your complaint to the Ombudsman.
This does seem unfortunate.

You seem also to think it was OK for yourself to post an interpretation about
election eligibility to the list but seek to silence an elected BC officer
replying with a clarification that is consistent with past BC practise. For the
record I have not nominated anyone for the current election. I did nominate a
candidate for the previous now complete election.

Clarification
1. The election notice states the following:
"Nominations for candidates should be made by a paid-up member of the BC
nominating ONE candidate. Candidates can be either a paid-up member of the BC or
someone who is demonstrably associated/affiliated to the BC. This
association/affiliation must be explained clearly by the candidate in his or her
election statement."

2. Previous BC appointees to the nom com have been as follows.

2004 Mike Roberts (S) & Grant Forsyth (L). Roberts was from a small company
member, Forsyth from a large.
2005 Marilyn Cade (S) & Catherine Gabay (L). Cade was from a small company (but
ex AT&T, a large company). Gabay was from a category 2 regional association
representing more small companies than large.
2006 Ken Fockler (S) & Catherine Gabay (L). Fockler was ex ICANN Board (?) and
associated with a small BC member. Gabay was from a category 2 regional
association representing more small companies than large.
2007 Waudo Siganga (S) & Grant Forsyth (L). Siganga was from large BC member but
had a network of small companies. Forsyth was by then not a BC member.
2008 Liz Williams (S) & Phil Lodico (L) . Williams was from a small company BC
member. Lodico was also from a small company BC member but had a network of
large companies.

3. In other words past BC practise - as I tried to explain in my previous email
- is exactly NOT strict on matching BC member category to the two nom com roles.
If it did do we exclude category 2?

That is why I said it was up to the candidate to explain to us all WHY they had
particular qualities that fit the nom com seat - in this case the large business
seat.

Philip