[bc-gnso] PEDNAR (post expiration domain name recovery) PDP needs a constituency statement from us

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Tue Sep 22 20:03:10 UTC 2009

just a process update, we're just wrapping up the PEDNAR call right
now and it looks like only 2 constituencies got statements in on
time.  so we all have a 2-week "dog ate the homework" extension.

Berry Cobb is pulling together a call among the BC members on the
PEDNAR working group (Berry, Mike, Phil Corwin, me) to hammer on this
and figure out a process to get something by you for review.  Palage
is off to a great start with this post.

mikey

On Sep 22, 2009, at 2:52 PM, Michael D. Palage wrote:

> Philip/Mike R,
>
> In the interest of preserving the BC position on this topic, I can
> also
> report that the registry constituency will be submitting a comment
> after the
> close of the formal comment period. Therefore, if we did submit a late
> response we would not be alone.
>
> I would like to submit the following statement for consideration to
> the
> group, friendly amendments welcomed.
>
> While the Business Constituency supports competition and innovation
> within
> the marketplace, these principles should not compromise the rights of
> registrants with regard to open, transparent and predicable practices
> concerning expiring domain names. The Business Constituency would
> like to
> thank ICANN staff for their support of the PEDNR Working Group to
> date. Two
> staff members that have provided critical support to date are Marika
> Konings, who will be overseeing a registrar survey to provide a more
> accurate picture of the expiring domain name market and William
> McKelligott,
> an Auditor from the ICANN Contractual Compliance Team, for his work in
> accessing registrar compliance with regard to the Expired Domain
> Deletion
> Policy (EDDP).
>
> While the BC will await these survey results and other additional fact
> finding prior to formulating a more detailed position statement,
> there is
> one important point that the BC would like to make at this time in
> connection with the accuracy of Whois data. The BC has long
> advocated in
> support of increased accuracy of whois data. The preliminary work of
> the
> Work Group appears to indicate that registrar practices in
> connection with
> the transfer of domain names post expiration may result in
> inaccurate whois
> data that may materially impact a trademark owners right to enforce
> their
> rights through the UDRP.
>
> The BC apologizes for the untimely submission of this comment, but its
> members and leadership look forward to meaningfully participating in
> the
> upcoming forum at the ICANN annual meeting in Seoul.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Michael

phone 	651-647-6109
fax  		866-280-2356
web 	www.haven2.com
handle	OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook,
Google, etc.)