[bc-gnso] where are we at on a new charter?

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Fri Sep 25 13:00:11 UTC 2009

Hi Mike,

(1) I submitted comments previously at:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/bc-gnso/msg00345.html
http://forum.icann.org/lists/bc-gnso/msg00376.html

I don't think your revised draft reflected all my concerns. I think
the better foundation is to use someone else's template, like the City
Top-Level Domain Constituency's draft.

(2) Marilyn and others called for a conference call long ago with ICANN staff.

(3) Another approach would be to seriously consider joining up with
the IP and ISP constituencies to form a superconstituency. Even Mike
Rodenbaugh has bemoaned the situation that:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/bc-gnso/msg00416.html

"WE DO NOT HAVE MANY MEMBERS PARTICIPATING SUBSTANTIALLY TO ANY
BC-RELATED WORK TODAY"

"FEW ENGAGE IN THAT NOW."

If one looks at the archive of the ISP constituency mailing list:

http://www.ispcp.info/abt-mail.html

they've had not a single post to their mailing list in all of 2009.

It'd be better to roll-up the 3 constituencies into one large and
vibrant "Commercial Stakeholders" constituency, rather than have
disjoint, weak and ineffective small constituencies with low
participation. Some prefer to be a big fish in a small pond, but we'd
serve business better if instead they learned to be a small fish in a
big pond, and maybe they'd even rise to become a "big fish in a big
pond."

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269