[bc-gnso] Draft Comments on ICANN's Study of the Accuracy of the WHOIS Registrant Contact Information

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 13 20:28:13 UTC 2010

Thanks, Susan, for your development of the BC comments, and Steve, for your addition.
I wonder if the comments need a paragraph or at least a sentence or two that also notes the importance of WHOIS to business, and the long standing involvement of this constituency in WHOIS issues; our concern about issues like fraud, abusive registrations, misuse of domain names to engage in phishing, and other deceptive practices.
WE should take care to distinquish the concerns of the BC as being focused about concerns that come from the perspective of business users.  Business users are concerned about abusive use of registered domain names because abusive use or misuse adds in risks to users of the Internet; leads to fraud and other problems.  Accurate and available WHOIS is a critical part of ensuring trust on the Internet. Such a paragraph could be an introduction, or a closing statement as an addition to the comments.
I agree, broadly with Steve's additions but offer a couple of suggestions for your consideration:
I might reword number 5 a bit.
We want ICANN to continue regularly scheduled WHOIS accuracy analysis and publish it, as they have with this report. We further believe that such fact based analysis can help to identify the needed areas for improvements in registrar fulfillments of their responsibilities to gather, publish and maintain accurate and accessible WHOIS.
I would perhaps change the statement "Registrars manage to gather... ", to read:  "Processes to gather accurate information are undertaken by Registrars in the collection of credit card and other form of payment information.  Valid WHOIS data should be a criteria to complete registration of a domain name."
And, like Steve and others in the BC, I fully support the importance of referencing the importance of undertaking the WHOIS studies that continue to be discussed within the GNSO policy Council.
You might add in a sentence to 6. "Undertaking these long awaited studies will significantly contribute to the fact based understanding of all ICANN stakeholders.   The BC believes that such fact based research will help to inform the further consideration of WHOIS policy."