[bc-gnso] RE: Vested interests - status quo - market incumbents - anti trust

Mike Rodenbaugh icann at rodenbaugh.com
Fri Aug 13 21:57:14 UTC 2010

This deserves some further response now, though I am sure plenty more discussion to come as the Vertical Integration Working Group continues its work.

You list 3 reasons in favor of continued cross-ownership restrictions:  1) undefined “gaming” potential of “nefarious registrars” -- but what specific harms are you seeking to avoid, are they prevented by cross-ownership restrictions, and should all registrars be prevented from competing in the newTLD operations market, simply because you might imagine a relative few “nefarious actors”?  2) ICANN’s compliance function does not instill confidence in ICANN – this is a meaningless red herring, first must identify the harms you seek to prevent (other than “competition from registrars, some of whom might be nefarious”), and 3) ICANN should wait til after this round to consider lifting restrictions – but a next round may not occur for 3-5 years, and ICANN already has the benefit of 10 years experience with hundreds of TLDs in the root, including fully vertically integrated business models, so again this is just an argument to benefit incumbent players and protect their markets for another several years.

I look forward to further discussion, particularly once the VI-WG publishes the recent work on ‘harms’ alleged to be caused by these restrictions, as well as the ‘harms’ that allegedly would be caused if they are eliminated.

Mike Rodenbaugh

RODENBAUGH LAW

tel/fax:  +1 (415) 738-8087

 <http://rodenbaugh.com/> http://rodenbaugh.com