[bc-gnso] Steve DelBianco's expression of interest for BC vice chair for policy coordination

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Mon Jan 11 04:24:49 UTC 2010

Call me crazy, but I¹m interested in serving as the BC¹s vice chair for
policy coordination.

Over the next 12 months, the BC will have the opportunity to advance general
business interests in ICANN policy, including new gTLDs, registry-registrar
separation, and accountability measures such as an independent review board
and Affirmation of Commitments reviews.

As described in our new charter, this vice chair will coordinate with the
Secretariat to help with the following;
> * the choice of policy areas to propose to members as priorities
> * the appointment of a lead rapporteur for each such activity
> * the dissolution of redundant groups following such activities
> * policy coordination with the Commercial Stakeholder Group
> * policy coordination with the Users House
> * policy coordination with the CSG¹s elected representatives.

While not stated in the Charter above, I would also coordinate closely with
BC representatives on GNSO Council.  As they are directly engaged in policy
debates and voting, our Councilors deserve timely and specific guidance from
the BC membership on relevant issues.

Let me know (off-list) if you¹re interested in giving my candidacy a nod of
nomination (before 17-Jan) or other signal of support.  And don¹t hesitate
to write me with your questions and suggestions. My statement of Interest is
shown below.

Statement of Interest for Steve DelBianco

Current occupation, employer and position:
I serve as executive director of NetChoice, a coalition of e-commerce
businesses, including AoL, eBay, Expedia, Facebook, IAC, NewsCorp, Oracle,
Skype,  VeriSign, Yahoo, and several thousand small online sellers,
primarily in the US.  (see www.netchoice.org )    I also serve as vice
president for Public Policy at the Association for Competitive Technology
(ACT), a trade association for ICT businesses in the US and Europe. (see
www.ACTonline.org)

Type of work performed:
I set the policy agenda for NetChoice and frequently testify at
international fora, before the US Congress, and in state legislatures, on
issues relating to Internet
governance, e-commerce taxation, privacy, and consumer protection.   I
represent NetChoice at ICANN meetings and at the Internet Governance Forum
(IGF).  I also publish research and policy documents and maintain a blog at
http://blog.netchoice.org

I have no financial ownership or management role in any registries,
registrars or other firms that are contract parties with ICANN.  Please note
that one of my member companies is a large registry and several others are
evaluating whether to propose single-company TLDs.

The nature of my interest in ICANN is to maintain the integrity and
availability of e-commerce and internet communications.

Executive Director
NetChoice
http://www.NetChoice.org and http://blog.netchoice.org
+1.202.420.7482