[bc-gnso] Propose that the BC support GAC process comments on EOI

Mike Rodenbaugh icann at rodenbaugh.com
Wed Jan 27 10:51:13 UTC 2010

I agree with the concerns re process.  This "Working Group" was nothing of
the sort, but instead a small, self-formed and self-interested group of
new-TLD applicants who have tried to railroad process through ICANN.  That
alone warrants disagreement.

Substantively, I think the proposal is foolish because it is likely to
result in more rather than less delay to the newTLD implementation, which I
would like to see happen ASAP, provided that 'overarching concerns' are
first adequately addressed.  Those concerns seem to have been addressed, as
adequately as possible (though we have not seen the latest DAG yet), and
anyway the suggested EOI process seems more likely to reopen dressed wounds
than it is to cure anything.

As we have discussed on the list, the Business Constituency is not going to
formally comment on this to ICANN, and neither will I.  It is not really a
substantive concern, but one of process.  The GNSO made clear
recommendations about timing and communications, and now -- it seems to me
-- the Staff and a small group of self-interested parties is trying to
circumvent that.

Mike Rodenbaugh
RODENBAUGH LAW
tel/fax:  +1 (415) 738-8087