AW: [bc-gnso] Propose that the BC support GAC process comments on EOI

Dirk Krischenowski | dotBERLIN krischenowski at
Wed Jan 27 12:27:42 UTC 2010

Dear BC-Members,

the .berliners are fine with the posted comments, but I think as most BC
members are inline with the AIM position the BC should oppose the mandatory
pre-registration which will definitely open the floodgate to TLD tasting,
gaming in selling of .brand EOI slots.

Best regards,

Dirk Krischenowski

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-bc-gnso at [mailto:owner-bc-gnso at] Im Auftrag von
Steve DelBianco
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 27. Januar 2010 13:12
An: 'bc - GNSO list'
Betreff: Re: [bc-gnso] Propose that the BC support GAC process comments on

Comments are due today.  We don't have time for a formal vote on a BC
position on the EOI, so ours would have to be a consensus comment.

Would everyone support a simple statement along these lines?

Before the Board votes on whether to proceed with the EOI, it should first
resolve the ambiguity about what the EOI is designed to accomplish.  Is the
EOI just a data gathering exercise, or is it a mandatory pre-registration?

Once we understand that threshold question, the community can address the
details of the EOI plan, in a brief public comment period followed by public
discussions in Nairobi.

--Steve DelBianco

On 1/27/10 4:32 AM, "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard at> wrote:

> The GAC have submitted a proposal on process. In effect it asks the Board
> delay a decision until after debate in Nairobi.
> I would like to suggest that the BC supports this.
> Please let me have your opinion today as public comments close today !
> ---------------------------
> The full text of the GAC advice is on the comments list but the specific
> process
> advice is as follows:
> "the GAC therefore advises the Board to:
> -      avoid taking a decision on the EoI at its February meeting and
> it until the next ICANN Public meeting. A premature decision could trigger
> requests for reconsideration and further derail the discussion;
> -      request that staff facilitate a full cross-community deliberation
> the EoI at the next ICANN Public meeting, prior to any final decisions;
> -      ensure that the second summary of comments clearly documents the
> respective interests of respondents."
> Philip 

Steve DelBianco
Executive Director
NetChoice and

More information about the Bc-gnso mailing list