[bc-gnso] DRAFT BC Public Comments on DAGv4

Phil Corwin pcorwin at butera-andrews.com
Thu Jul 15 20:09:09 UTC 2010

Once again the ICA must dissent in regard to that portion of the proposed comment dealing with the URS. Without getting into great detail - other than noting that the domain transfer option, which was not even suggested by the IRT, would further blur the distinction between URS and UDRP - we would observe that to a large extent the details of the URS now in DAGv4 are based largely on an STI process in which the BC participated, and which reached consensus positions that were unanimously adopted by the GNSO and subsequently accepted by the ICANN Board.

That does not mean we are insensitive to the desire of rights holders to have a faster and less expensive process for the 70% of UDRP filings that result in a default judgment. However, our position remains that such objective can be best achieved through balanced and comprehensive UDRP reform that addresses the current UDRP concerns of both rights holders and registrants, that places UDRP providers under binding and enforceable agreements, and that applies to both incumbent and new gTLDs (which is the only path to having a UDRP that is truly Uniform).

We do believe that any BC comment proposed to be submitted, given the passage of time and events since BC positions were originally set, should be subject to a vote of the Constituency membership.

Thank you for considering our views.

Philip S. Corwin
Partner
Butera & Andrews
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004

202-347-6875 (office)

202-347-6876 (fax)

202-255-6172 (cell)

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey