[bc-gnso] DRAFT BC Public Comments on DAGv4

Deutsch, Sarah B sarah.b.deutsch at verizon.com
Mon Jul 19 18:39:02 UTC 2010

Jon,

Thank you for your many constructive changes.  I want to respond to one
suggested edit you made below:

*I deleted the clear and convincing evidence issue with regard to the
URS.  As a member of the IRT, I can say that it clearly was our intent
for the URS to have a higher burden of proof  than the UDRP -- the legal
standard is exactly the same.  We wanted the URS to be for "slam dunk"
cases.  The URS was to be a less expensive alternative to the UDRP
cognizant of the fact that 70% of UDRPs go unanswered.

1.  I don't disagree that the URS, like the UDRP, should be used for
slam dunk cases.  I'm glad you confirmed that the legal standard was
supposed to be exactly the same.  It's my understanding that proof under
the UDRP is in fact based on a preponderance of the evidence standard,
not a clear and convincing evidence standard.  See below.

Section 1.3.1.1 - Burden of Proof (How much proof is necessary?)

In the administrative proceeding, the Complainant must prove that each
of the three elements contained in Section 4(a) of the Policy are
present.

Comment:  In general, the Panels recognize a preponderance of the
evidence standard.  Preponderance of the evidence means that a fact is
proved when it is more likely than not that the fact is true.

2. Rather than delete this sentence in its entirety, I would recommend
inserting back in the following single sentence: "The BC recommends that
while the URS is intended to deal with "slam dunk," cases, we ask ICANN
to clarify that the legal standard remain the exactly the same as that
found in the UDRP.  ICANN should clarify that while proof of bad faith
must be clear, the evidence generally can be established by a
proponderance of evidence standard."

3.  I know that you were a valuable member of the IRT and at that time
you were representing registrars' views.  Other IRT members point out to
me one additional point.  The "slam dunk" aspect of the URS was in
exchange for a quick and cheap process.  No one knows how cheap this
will wind up being, but there is no question that the "quick" part of
this trade off has disappeared.  Many IRT participants confirm that the
DAG4 doesn't represent anything akin to the deal they thought they had
struck.

Sarah

Sarah B. Deutsch
Vice President & Associate General Counsel
Verizon Communications
Phone: 703-351-3044
Fax: 703-351-3670