[bc-gnso] Draft BC position EOI v2

Berry Cobb berrycobb at infinityportals.com
Mon Mar 1 22:59:16 UTC 2010

Philip,

Thank you for taking point on the EOI BC Position.

While I support the EOI concept, there are far too many unresolved issues
for this to be a fair and balanced method to advance gTLDs.  My primary
concern with the proposed EOI is referenced in Reasons #4 & #5 of the BC
position.  By forcing all potential applicants to blindly file EOI before
all conditions and rules are finalized also unfairly prevents others from
entering the application round.  The primary motivation for this EOI rule
was to prevent speculative applications against similar strings.  I
understand the reasoning, but more relaxed rules can accomplish the same
goal without locking out other future applicants.

The other six reasons listed are equally valid points that the ICANN Board
and broader community should consider.  Therefore, I support the proposed BC
Position.  I look forward to reviewing the final version.

For those in the BC that do not know me, I fully support the gTLD expansion.
But, I can only support it when most of the current state issues the
community and market experience today are resolved.

Thank you.

Berry A. Cobb

Infinity Portals LLC
866.921.8891