[bc-gnso] Draft BC comment on Applicant guidebook - for member review and approval by 3-Dec

Berry Cobb berrycobb at infinityportals.com
Sat Nov 27 17:11:24 UTC 2010

Steve,

Thank you for leading us through our BC Comments process on AGB.  I have a
few more suggestions please..

.         Page 2 - Please disregard my suggestion about setting a %
Threshold for 'dot brand' TLDs, as I now support REMOVING the solution of a
100 Application threshold. While I support a limited or controlled rollout,
I feel the horse has left the barn with respect to this issue.  Any
implementation of a controlled rollout at this point is sure to introduce a
delay to the recently announced release schedule and I do not think it will
benefit the BC if we are seen as supporting another delay.  I understand the
rule about providing a solution after presenting a problem, but I think an
exception is warranted here.  Therefore, I recommend that we reiterate with
strong emphasis the multiple recommendations provided to ICANN; the GNSO's
Approvals for gTLD expansion, at least one economic report (which by the way
is the same econ report that recommends relaxing of VI/CO rule), the GACs
comments about a controlled release, and I am sure there are other sources
in addition to ours.  Presenting the 100 App Threshold solution will not
enhance our case and it is clear that ICANN has chosen to IGNORE these
obvious recommendations.

.         Page 8 - I support Mike R's two suggestions.  Our rationale should
not be limited to 'dot-brands', but all TLDs.  We have an opportunity here
to show the community that we support the greater good and not just myopic
on 'brands' alone.  Further, I feel the use of 'single-registrant' no longer
applies given the recent Board decisions on VI/CO.  An even older argument
is..what is a 'dot-brand'?  Where is the line drawn that distinguishes a
non-brand from a brand?  Is it only trademarks that define a brand?  We can
all provide examples of what may or may not be a brand, but I do not think
we can ever draw a definitive line.  Therefore, I feel it is better served
to remove the focus on 'brands' and increase it to all TLDs.

Thank you.

Berry Cobb

Infinity Portals LLC

berrycobb at infinityportals.com