[bc-gnso] FW: Audiocast details and Agenda for 28 October GNSO Council Meeting
marilynscade at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 21 21:58:22 UTC 2010
Dear BC members: Here's the link to the audiocast for the next Council meeting. /along with agenda.
As committed some time ago, I will forward notices of relevance that are forwarded to me, as chair, to the BC members, since many of you may wish to particpate by listening to the audiocast for particular subject areas.
Some on this list are a high priority to the BC.
http://stream.icann.org:8000/gnso.m3u Meeting Time 20:00 UTC; 13:00 PDT; 15:00 CDT; 16:00 EST; 17:00 Buenos Aires; 17:00 Brazil; 22:00 CET; 24:00 Moscow
Here's the meeting agenda. (I would expect discussion of items 1-2 and 4-6 to be particularly esoteric.)
Item 1: Administrative matters (15 minutes)
1.1 Roll call of Council members and polling for Disclosures of Interest
• Per the GNSO Operating Procedures, Section 5.4, we are required to poll Councilors regarding “any direct or indirect interests that may affect a Relevant Party’s judgment on an issue that is under review, consideration, or discussion” in this meeting.
Here is the definition provided in the procedures:
“Disclosure of Interest: Relevant to a specific issue at a specific time. A written statement made by a Relevant Party of direct and indirect interests that may be commercial (e.g. monetary payment) or non-commercial (e.g. non-tangible benefit such as publicity, political or academic visibility) and may affect, or be perceived to affect, the Relevant Party's judgment on a specific issue.”
The main issues for this meeting are
Whois Study #3 - WHOIS Privacy and Proxy Abuse
Voting Procedures when Councilors are absent &/or must abstain
Disclosure of Interest Procedures
1.2 Update any statements of interest
Note that a revised SoI was received from Terry Davis.
1.3 Review/amend agenda
1.4. Note the status of minutes for the previous Council meeting per the GNSO Operating Procedures:
• 7 October 2010 meeting minutes – Scheduled for approval on 28 October 2010.
Item 2: GNSO Project Prioritization (20 minutes)
2.1 Refer to posted project ratings:
2.2 Key points made in the 15 July Council meeting (from meeting minutes):
• “. . . not a useful exercise, not much was learnt, should not proceed further with the prioritization exercise.”
• “. . . spending more time on the exercise will not accomplish useful results.”
• “It was a difficult exercise, policy matters were not prioritized and the core issue, management of the workload, still has not been resolved.”
• “The exercise was intended as a first step and not intended to solve the workload management; other steps are needed. The exercise contributed an important degree of common awareness and dissent to the group.”
• “The prioritization process could be improved with further input from the Councilors and stakeholder groups.”
• “The exercise is important and informative from a staff perspective and the Council needs to look at a two-step process going forward: step one - form a small team to improve the process used to date drawing on input received; step two - develop a process to manage the workload with input from staff of the resources being used to support each of the working groups, which will reflect both staff and community efforts.”
• “Support was expressed for continuing the prioritization work, but linking it to the overall ICANN Staff and Community workload and to the Budget process.”
• “The question of available resources should be looked at in context. The Vertical Integration working group as an example of one that would not normally have commenced with all the work before Council, yet it did and the community resources were available.”
• “Some believe that work should be prioritized but the methodology chosen is not the most appropriate or efficient.”
2.3 Next Steps
• Staff Utilization Analysis (Liz Gasster)
• Results of Adobe Connect Poll regarding possible next steps:
o Option 1: Spend no more time on prioritization - 5 votes (33%)
o Option 2: Develop a plan for using the results to manage the workload in the near term - 2 votes (13%)
o Option 3: Form a drafting team with the task of developing a new process - 0 votes (0%)
o Option 4: Form a drafting team with the task of improving the process - 1 vote (7%)
o Option 5: Other? (including combinations of options 2, 3, and or 4) - 7 votes (47%)
• Action Items
Item 3: Whois Study #3 - WHOIS Privacy and Proxy Abuse (15 minutes)
Refer to: The Abuse Study Staff Analysis
3.1 Status Report (Liz Gasster)
3.3 Next steps?
Item 4: Voting Procedures when Councilors are absent &/or must abstain (25 minutes)
1) Abstention Notification Form (online): http://gnso.icann.org/node/14119
2) Voting Remedies Procedural Map: http://gnso.icann.org/council/visual-procedures-map-en.htm
4.1 Overview (Ken Bour, Staff; Ray Fassett, GNSO Council Operations Work Team (GCOT) Chair)
4.3 Report from Operations Steering Committee/ GNSO Council Operations Work Team (OSC/GCOT) (Philip Sheppard, OSC Chair; Ray Fassett)
4.4 Next steps?
Item 5: Disclosure of Interest Procedures (15 minutes)
5.1 Report from OSC/GCOT (Philip Sheppard, Ray Fassett)
5.3 Next steps?
Item 6: Planning for Cartagena Meetings (15 minutes)
6.1 Overview of plans/schedule (Stéphane Van Gelder, Glen de Saint Géry)
6.2 Next steps?
Item 7: Status of Continued Action Items (10 Minutes)
7.1 Drafting team for draft DNS-CERT/SSR WG charter (Chuck Gomes)
7.2 Standing committee to monitor GNSO Improvements implementation (Glen de Saint Géry)
• Volunteers to date: Wolf-Ulrich Knoben (ISCPC), Tatyana Khramtsova (RrSG), Ray Fassett (RySG), Avri Doria (NCSG), Rudi Vansnick (NCSG), Philip Sheppard (CBUC)
• Feedback from Steering Committees (Rob Hoggarth)
• Question raised regarding GNSO Operating Procedures: Should the concerns about the newly approved disclosure of interest requirements be dealt with by the OSC & GCOT or by the standing committee?
• Next steps? Charter?
7.3 Progress of House/SG Elections
• Chair & Vice Chair Nominations
• NCA Assignments
7.4 Whois Studies
• Refer to redline version of Proxy/Privacy Reveal study (Study 4) RFP at
• Status of Whois Studies (Liz Gasster)
/correspondence/presentation-whois-studies-oct10-en.pdfFinal Report on Proposals for Improvements to the Registrar Accreditation Agreement
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Bc-gnso