[bc-gnso] CSG charter and knock-on effects to BC charter

Mike Rodenbaugh icann at rodenbaugh.com
Wed Sep 29 17:08:47 UTC 2010

Ron -- So then you agree that the fundamental structure set out in the
Charter is conceptually correct, and are not proposing to change it?  Or do
you have a proposal you wish to share?  If I said something inconsistent in
Seoul, please prove it to me privately and I will come back to the list and
acknowledge or explain.  Otherwise I doubt I was inconsistent as this has
always been my belief -- and I argued strenuously for it in our last,
grueling Charter debate.

It certainly is a high privilege to serve as an elected representative of
such a wide variety of businesses, trying to advance their interests in the
DNS.  It is also a great deal of work, merely to monitor all the policy work
much less to meaningfully participate, engage others to participate, and
build consensus not only in the disparate and tense BC, but also among other
stakeholders.  It is hard, generally thankless and frustrating work and it
takes a lot of volunteer time.  The amount of time easily averages 8-10
hours a week.  There are never enough other volunteers to assist, so the
work falls to Councilors to undertake or ignore.

The travel benefit is the only benefit offered to Councilors.  It was a hard
fought benefit only offered in recent years.  And now it is uncertain again,
as political interests (in particular our administrative Chair) have worked
to turn the thrice-yearly travel benefit into a political football to be
punted about each time, ending up in the hands of some lucky winner who has
most pleased the Chair in recent months.

As my Council seat is coming up for election very soon, people should
understand all this as they consider potential candidacies.  I'm happy to
answer any questions.

Mike Rodenbaugh

RODENBAUGH LAW

tel/fax:  +1 (415) 738-8087