[bc-gnso] Attempt to bridge Board GAC impasse

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 8 12:48:14 UTC 2011

In my comments for BC, I noted that ICANN should include the full story about new gTLDs, not only promotion of how to apply. Millions of users will be highly confused by a campaign that only does the latter. They are users, and many do not want to be suppliers. Some do, or will. We need, as BC, to focus now, as well, on what a responsible communication plan would include re content. I  doubt that a two month communications plan is sufficient. I doubt even more that ICANN staff is thinking )et about not "marketing" new gTLDs, but informing... Vast numbers of users of the kind of changes-- including IDNs, and numbers of new ASCII TLDs.

I would like to volunteer to draft a short statement about how business users see the role and purpose of an educational and informational process, which ICANN now calls "communication" plan. We were among those that called for this activity. I think that as business leaders and users, we should contribute to shaping it.

It would be inappropriate for ICANN to market new gTLDS,whether ASCII or IDN,  instead, they need an informational and awarenedd message, part of which is how to apply.

Marilyn Cade, in my individual member capacity
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T