[bc-gnso] For BC review & comment: draft response to Whois Review Team

Marilyn marilynscade at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 8 13:24:21 UTC 2011

Team, I do recommend you add in a statement about the importance of accurate,up to date, openly accessible WHOIS, and why, who uses it, what for in the statement about why the BC considers these features critical. Proxy services are not necessarily bad if properly managed, and if the data is verified and available in a reasonable manner.I personally have low support for proxy services, since website operations are holding yourself out to communicate with the public. Vast numbers of domains are reserved/parked, and many have proxied Whois. I have long wondered about requiring ICANN special accreditation for that service. Maybe it should be a contracted service...

Would the present examination allow the examination of proxy services and practices, linkage to udrps, other complaints?

Also, we shod keep a distinct focus as well on data studies, not just from ICANN, but also from LEAs, Knojon, MAGG, Anti-phishing wg.....

Marilyn Cade/Sent from my iPad