[bc-gnso] LAST CALL: Draft v2 of BC comments on latest gTLD Guidebook

Mike Rodenbaugh icann at rodenbaugh.com
Wed May 11 16:27:30 UTC 2011

Thanks Steve for all the hard work on this.

Re batching of applications, even if the premise is accepted that ICANN may
be unready for volume at 500 applications (though I do not accept that
premise), how does the BC propose that ICANN implement the recommendation to
limit the first batch to "significantly fewer" than 500?  Is there a
specific number or specific criteria as to which applications get into the
first batch?  Without answers to those questions, the BC recommendation is
less than helpful.  Also, hasn't the GAC letter of Sept 2010 been superceded
by recent GAC and ICANN consultations re the new TLD program?  So that
reference should be removed from bottom of page 3.  Also would be helpful to
cite to the other report mentioned there.

Agree we should drop the request for further economic studies.

Re Module 3, we should continue to push for more detail from ICANN re
definitions and process for Limited Public Interest Objections.

Re Single Registrant TLDs, our position is very well stated and I support
the definition, but we could further emphasize the full definition,
including all three bullet points.  The latest Specification 9 (Code of
Conduct) does not have a very clear definition, though it is a step in the
right direction.

Also the language in blue in Module 5, Section 2.9 is not sufficient to
carveout Single Registrant TLDs from the 'non-discriminatory access'
provision of the base contract.  They are specifically accepted out of the
Code of Conduct, which is a Specification of the base contract that also
includes a non-discriminatory access provision, but section 2.9 within the
contract itself has not caught up with the drafting.  We should call this
out to be fixed.

Similarly wrt section 4.5, as that language should be consistent, it should
mention single-registrant TLDs which are already properly defined (if our
advice is accepted), rather than introduce a different definition.  Staff
has the concept right, but again the drafting needs to be tightened.

Best,

Mike

Mike Rodenbaugh

RODENBAUGH LAW