[bc-gnso] ALERTS from the Secretariat: Statement by Akram Atallah, COO

Benedetta Rossi bc-secretariat at icann.org
Mon Apr 16 09:10:18 UTC 2012

Dear BC Members,

Please find below an ICANN announcement released yesterday.

Kind Regards,

Benedetta Rossi
BC Secretariat
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsobc/Home
www.bizconst.org
bc-secretariat at icann.org

http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-15apr12-en.htm

Statement by Akram Atallah, COO

As we reported yesterday, ICANN continues to study the technical issue
that has prompted us to take the TLD application system offline.

Our goals remain to get a full understanding of this issue, fix the
problem, notify those who have been affected, and reopen the application
window as soon as possible. We are doing our best to mitigate the impact
of this issue on the application process.

As reported earlier, some applicants were able to see file names and
user names that belonged to other applicants. An intensive review has
produced no evidence that any data beyond the file names and user names
could be accessed by other users. In addition, it does not appear that
this issue caused any corruption or loss of data.

We are currently reviewing the data to confirm which applicants were
affected. As soon as the data is confirmed, we will inform all
applicants whether they were affected.

We are continuing to look at the technical issue and using outside
experts to resolve any open issues before we reopen the application
window. We are extensively testing the system to ensure that all aspects
of the issue have been fully addressed.

We will reopen the application system as soon as we have full confidence
that the problem has been resolved. As noted in yesterday's update, we
will announce no later than 23:59 GMT/UTC on Monday, 16 April, whether
we will reopen on Tuesday, 17 April.

30 April remains our target date to publish the applied-for new domain
names, but this is subject to change.

We apologize for any concern this issue is causing. In keeping with
ICANN's longstanding commitment to transparency and accountability, we
will continue to provide regular updates at
<http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/tas/interruption-updates> until
the issue is resolved and the application window has reopened.