[bc-gnso] Posting the list of "improvements" to the new gTLD program to the BC public list

Smith, Bill bill.smith at paypal-inc.com
Wed Jan 11 22:05:43 UTC 2012

I'm speaking neither in support of, or in opposition to #8.

A GPML seems difficult to manage on many levels, though I understand why it is attractive to many mark holders. Questions that we would need to consider include:

 *   What criteria would be used to determine which marks could be protected and those that could not?
 *   Are different fields of use considered? (Delta the airline, Delta the faucet manufacturer)
 *   Are different jurisdictions considered?
 *   What priorities, if any, would be applied to fields of use, jurisdiction, or other criteria?
 *   How would appeals be handled?
 *   Could a "protected mark" be sold or traded? (Delta as an example)

Staying with Delta as an example, the US PTO has some 2,200 registrations for Delta. The first five (Delta with no other words) are:

85237943<http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4009:6dn8vn.2.3> Masco Corporation of Indiana (Delta Faucets)
85496225<http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4009:6dn8vn.2.7> Biolase Technology, Inc. (Dental instruments)
85493162<http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4009:6dn8vn.2.10> Delta Electronics, Inc. (Brushless motors, and lot's more)
85209409<http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4009:6dn8vn.2.42> MEDICAL DEPOT, INC. (Bedframes)
85219224<http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4009:6dn8vn.2.61> Delta Electronics, Inc. (Wind Power Electricity Generation Equipment)

I'm sure Delta Airlines is somewhere in the pack.

Let's assume .travel, .airline, .plumbing, and .faucet are new gTLDs. No doubt Delta (the airline) would like to register delta.travel, and delta.airline. Similarly, Delta (the faucet manufacturer) would like to register delta.plumbing, and delta.faucet. Unfortunately, Delta (of dental instrument fame) has already protected delta in the GPML we are considering proposing.

It's fairly clear to me that each of the deltas should be allowed to have a second-level domain name in each "appropriate" new top-level domain. Unfortunately, our potential GPML prohibits this if any applicant is successful in gaining entry into the GPML. If we attempt to limit entries in the GMPL to only "really important" marks like Coke or McDonalds, issues remains with TLDs like .steel and .ancestry. Coke.steel seems a perfectly reasonable second-level domain for that industry as does mcdonalds.ancestry in the genealogy industry.

Perhaps there is a way to develop a universal, globally operated, grand-unified mark registration list. While I'm not an IP attorney, I note that marks are registered by jurisdiction and field of use. Overlap in name is common (as demonstrated by the Delta example) so attempts to preclude that overlap are destined to fail, at some level.

A last comment here, how does discussion of GPML fit within "user or consumer perspectives"?