[bc-gnso] Posting the list of "improvements" to the new gTLD program to the BC public list

icann at rodenbaugh.com icann at rodenbaugh.com
Wed Jan 11 18:24:22 UTC 2012

Thanks Bene.

So Marilyn, re your Proposal No. 8 again, there was minimal discussion on
the call.  Bill Smith reiterated general operational concerns with the
skeletal concept.  Steve referred us back to prior BC support for a GPML
concept, involving famous marks only, which died when it became evident that
there is no workable way to define fame, among other reasons.  Initially you
said this is your proposal, then you said that "a number of members support
it."  At the moment that number appears to be "one" since nobody else has
publicly supported even the bare concept, as far as I can tell from tracking
the BC List.  Until you answer some of the questions I and others have
raised, there simply is no proposal that anyone can reasonably consider, and
so the idea should be dropped from further discussion (as a general waste of
time) until you do try to answer some of those questions.

Here's one more too:  what if there might be several owners of the same
mark?  United, Delta, probably a million other marks are registered to
different parties in different places for different things.  What if one of
them wants to register in a new TLD, but another one of them has placed a
permanent block?  From your perspective, does that seem potentially unfair?
How would you propose to address that issue?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Rodenbaugh

RODENBAUGH LAW