[bc-gnso] Re: FY13 Operating Plan and Budget Comment - Fellowship

Gabriela Szlak gabrielaszlak at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 00:25:31 UTC 2012

Dear Chris and all,

Thank you for the opportunity to comment.

I don´t see any problems regarding the fellowship program at the documents
you referred me to. As far as I understood the situation remains the same
which is good to know: fellowship program will still be with us and I am
happy to know the BC supports this program. I would appreciate if someone
else checks this as I am not so familiar with this kind of documents.

Also, as you suggested, I read in detail the “FY13 Public Comment
Solicitation for FY13 Community Travel Support Guidelines”

Regarding the BC, there is a special additional request for 3 travelers for
FY13 from the BC (as well as similar requests from other constituencies).
This has been requested but not yet approved by ICANN. I am not sure how
the BC decided on this request and if it needs any further discussion.

Also, in page three it says that one of the Purposes of Community Travel
Support is:
*3. Outreach, especially to those unfamiliar with the ICANN processes but
who can benefit from and may ultimately give benefit to ICANN, by attending
and participating at ICANN meetings.*

I was wondering if maybe the BC members might want to consider to make use
of this purpose in order to request for additional support for travelers in
order to invite special targeted participants from the developing countries
to meetings as part of outreach activities. So maybe the BC can bring this
way specific business referents from developing countries, selected by a
selection process to be determined, and have them mentored into the BC.
This might give the BC the opportunity to find special people that might
not have get involved with ICANN nor the BC if not for this kind of special
invitation and that once in the community, might be a key for outreach in
their regions and also these members might become new active voices for the
group and broader participation.

Regards,
G.

Gabriela Szlak