[bc-gnso] TLD Universal Acceptance

Ron Andruff randruff at rnapartners.com
Wed Mar 14 19:36:06 UTC 2012

Universal acceptance is not just the ability to resolve DNS queries TO
individual TLDs with more than three letter TLDs, but it also implies
ability to send an email with a TLD address with more than three letters.
Universal Acceptance of TLDs on the ICANN website
(http://www.icann.org/en/news/in-focus/tld-acceptance) states “Most software
should not need to test whether a domain name is valid. The act of
connecting to a domain name (in the case of a URL, for example), or sending
an email (in the case of an email address) will automatically provide
mechanisms of informing if the domain name is valid or not. “ The issue is
email address with a .NAME TLD is being rejected by many entities.  That is
a universal acceptance issue, in my view.

Hope this helps,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff

President