[bc-gnso] Report card on BC/IPC improvements in Rights Protection Mechanisms for new gTLDs

Marie Pattullo marie.pattullo at aim.be
Thu Nov 29 14:27:53 UTC 2012

Thanks, Steve: that’s very useful.

While it is heartening that Fadi has agreed to at least listen to concerns of right holders, AIM members are, I’m afraid, less than reassured by the outcome to date. As regards the “strawman model”:

•              It does not mention the URS.

•              There is no reason that we can see for the termination of TM Claims at 60, or in total 90, days. As for paying for weakened claims beyond the 90 days: all this does is increase costs to right holders. TM Claims will not actually do anything to prevent fraud/cybersquatting, so their only practical purpose is to assist good faith applicants who do not know that their chosen string is a TM. Therefore, limiting the life of the Claims Service hurts two parties – good faith applicants and right holders - while smoothing the path for registrars/registries to sell infringing names and for cybersquatters to buy them. Where is the public interest here?

•              Why the limit of 50 previously abused strings? If I have more than 50 successful UDRP decisions for my brands, this proves that my brands are popular targets for cybersquatters, thus popular consumer searches (otherwise, why cybersquat?) Consumers are therefore faced with multiple frauds of their favoured brands. Why is this equitable? Should it not be for the right holder to decide which – and how many – strings it wishes to pay for to be in the TMCH?

•              Why are blocking measures of any kind (e.g. the LPR) not even considered?

As for onward actions – we note that Fadi said that he will be publishing the “strawman” for public comments and asking the GNSO for further input. Do we have any timelines there?

Looking forward to any further news on the call tomorrow,

Kind regards

Marie