[bc-gnso] Intersessional Meeting Questioni

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 4 12:00:14 UTC 2012

Thanks, Chris, and Phil for the question.

The proposed date is mid to late Jan. Either Brussels or January. The format and purpose is not yet determined. There should be a staff document out in a couple of days which I intend to circulate.

Funding was in budget, as Chris noted. Unclear what all it covers - some travel support; meeting rooms (one day was proposed for different constituencies to meet face to face by staff - that wasn't confirmed as is up to constituencies)  and translation, transcription, maybe staff travel as well - obviously if in LA, limited staff travel costs, but some, such as Brussels staff.

Possibilities: a small working effort of excoms or excomms + members working on different areas, or a wide open meeting. All are under consideration.

E.g.: There is discussion about this being a working session on broader ICANN - not gTLD policy - but more strategic issues. Other suggestions are to make this a working effort among excoms and maybe a few others on specific items, which are yet to be determined but might be communications materials. And then the third, which is to make it mini-constituency meetings, with staff attending and speaking.

Heavy on staff attendance -  to become better acquainted with different constituencies.

I will forward the staff document, which as Rob Hoggarth is supporting, I expect soon!

Is it okay to then take up discussion further based on that expected paper? In any case, it is a group decision - meaning all 5 constituencies. We can express preference, but will be part of the decision.

I did ask that if a smaller version is the decision (meaning not all of $150K budgeted is spent), that the funding be equally allocated to Constituencies for travel support for members travel to China.
That was not agreed but other chairs were in agreement agreement, so that the funding is not just lost).

Marilyn Cade

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T