[Bc-private] [bc-gnso] For expedited review by 17-Sep-2012: proposed expansion/clarification of BC's position on TM Claims Notices

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Mon Sep 17 15:47:20 UTC 2012

Thanks both Mary Jo and Mike for your thoughts on this.

My own view at this point is that there should be a stronger rationale for proposed  alterations of the RPMs than just saying that there are 1900 applications for 1400 unique gTLDs, that the number alone justifies a broad reopening and reconsideration. The current RPMs came out of a 2-year give-and-take process and certainly contemplated 500-1,000 applications, and were designed to scale if there were more (TMC, for example, provides sunrise rights and generates warnings regardless of the exact number of gTLDs). So I believe the burden is on proponents to make a case for alterations based on something more than the absolute number of gTLD applications published on reveal day.

Second, as Secretary Strickling observed at the brand meeting with NTIA-USPTO, many of the concepts being pushed now were considered and rejected in the past. So I would hope that participants in both IRT and STI-RT would step forward and illuminate the reasons for past rejection when a proposal has been previously considered so that the entire community can be well informed..

Third, there are implementation and qualitative considerations. As presently designed for exact matches the TMC has high qualitative thresholds for trademarks eligible for inclusion. If mark plus keyword were implemented then who is going to vet those submissions to make sure they are accurate, and what is the added cost? And, given that the TMC still faces some implementation difficulties in its present guise, what does a significant revision do to its implementation schedule and the projected launch date of new gTLDs, already pushed back to Q1 of 2014.

Fourth, what is the cross-RPM impact? For example, if an exact match TMC generates a claim warning and the domain is nonetheless registered  and a URS is subsequently filed then it may generally be assumed that this is a bad faith registration at least for a non-generic mark. But if the TMC is far broader than exact matches then such an assumption may not be justified - a much more vigorous investigation of the domain's use may be in order, and an infringement claim might be more properly brought via UDRP than URS. In any event, registrants in new gTLDs should clearly understand the cross-relationship prior to the launch of new gTLDs.

Fifth, by what process is it envisioned that any alterations of the RPMs be made? The current set were the end product of a process that included the IRT, STI-RT, GNSO Council, and the ICANN Board. True, the Board has made some tweaks under GAC pressure since then, but they were more in the realm of administration than base policy. As most of what's on the table from the brand side consists of significant policy alterations and not just implementation details, ICA's general position is that they should be considered in regular order by the entire community and not via a process in which certain parties lobby the GAC to pressure the Board.

Finally, what exactly are the proposals being considered? The Brand Summit letter and the follow-up meeting at NTIA did not prioritize the suggestions in any way, conceded that implementation difficulties might exist, and made clear that the list of proposals being suggested was not exhaustive. Given the interconnectedness of the TMC and URS and their potential impact on the launch date for new gTLDs, if we're going to have an informed debate we really need a definitive and pretty well locked down list of suggestions to be considered.

I hope those thoughts are helpful.

Best to all,
Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal