[bc-gnso] FW: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] For review - proposed language to address suspending a PDP

Ron Andruff randruff at rnapartners.com
Wed Sep 19 22:51:52 UTC 2012

Marilyn and all,

Prior to this new policy change, there was no rule regarding 'suspension',
so it was left to the Council Chair to make a determination.  Given no
guidelines, suspensions fell under the Chair's prerogative. This amendment
sets rules for the Chair to utilize if/when a suspension is requested.

is this language: The GNSO Council may terminate or suspend* a PDP prior to
the publication of a Final Report only for significant cause, upon a motion
that passes with a Supermajority Vote in favour of termination or
suspension.

Suspensions can only occur IF it is for significant cause AND with a
Supermajority Vote.  That, in my view, provides the safeguards that the BC
should be looking for.

To date we have had, as far as I am aware, only one request for suspension.

I am happy to go back to the SCI with a request that we ask staff to provide
the SCI with a 'Suspensions Report' 12 months after GNSO Council approval of
this amendment.  A one year review of all SCI recommendations should be a
standard operating procedure for that body.  Thanks for that input, Marilyn.

Kind regards,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff

RNA Partners, Inc.