[bc-gnso] Announcement of BC NomCom representatives to 2013 NomCom

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 30 19:17:51 UTC 2012

Dear BC Members
The Nominating Committee for ICANN will be convening in Toronto for the 2013 Nominating Committee (NC) process. The work of the NomComm will be especially time consuming this year, due to the high number of important appointments -- 3 Board members and 2 Councilors to GNSO Council, plus additional ccNSO and ALAC appointees.
The ExeComm has conducted a process to determine the two BC representatives to the 2013 NC. We invited self nomination from members who proposed to assume these importantand very time consuming roles for the BC.  The ability to fully commit to the online and face to face meeting work of the NC is a high demand on time of our representatives.
We were pleased to have 3 self nominees, and the ExComm considered all three nominees with full appreciation that all bring considerable strengths and different aspects of BC expertise and understanding, but also each volunteer brings strengths in interaction within ICANN, and external to ICANN, especiallyin regard to networks that access leaders from developing countries. We took into account the unusually high demands of workload for NC members, due to the number of appointments to be made.
The ExComm has made appointments of two BC representatives to the NomCom.
For 2013, the BC will be represented by :
Waudo Siganga, WITSA: WITSA has a strong and diverse network with over 80 associations; the majority of which are from developing countries.  Waudo is an experiencedparticipant in the NomCom for the BC, and we appreciate that he has accepted a second term for 2013.  We ask Waudo to carry the responsibility for small and medium enterprizes views,and to ensure that there is broad outreach into developing and emerging economies, with a special focus on awareness about ICANN and the NC.  He will carry the Small Business designation to ensure that there is recognition of the concerns of small businesses, whether represented by associations, or independently and will collaborate closely with our second representative. Waudo is the senior executive in the Kenyan Computer Society; and is on several Boards, including AfriICA, and WITSA.
Ron Andruff, RNApartners: . Ron will carry the responsibility to represent large businesses and associations that are focused on large businesses, and will be available to collaborate with BC entities related to encouraging awareness and interest by such parties, and far beyond for large business and for associations that specialize in their focus on large/global corporations.  Ron is the past CEO of .travel; and the current CEO of RNAPartners; in addition, he has held additional senior leadership positions in business.
Ron brings an extensive network within ICANN's structure, and externally with business. Ron has carried several key collaborative leadership roles for the BC as a volunteer, including steering roles within the last GNSO restructuring; playing a leadership role in Charter redrafting.  He also carries an additional role within the BC in the STI in the GNSO, where he has demonstrated strong skills of leadership, involvement, and leadership within challenging situations, and has build strong relationships which may be leveraged toward collaboration within the NC.
2013 is a unique challenge for the BC, and the ExComm took all of the challenges that we face to ensure effectiveness within ICANN into account, as well as our other work demands on our members.  All candidates brought skills, and capabilities to this appointment, and we once again thank all who submitted their interest statements.  I do want, as Chair to note that while the NC is important to ICANN and to the BC, many other issues are vitally important to the BC, and we must be effective on all fronts.  The work load that we will carry as the BC going forwardare considerable, and you will see other emails from me, as Chair, with support of the ExCom, asking for more engagement by our BC members on many other fronts of work at ICANN.

Time commitments for our NC Reps:  The importance of full commitment to attending and fully participating in the NomCom is a significant commitment. That means that our BC reps have to be absent to us, and often to their daily job demands during the NomCom meetings. This is a high bar for our representatives, and we ask that all BC members show their support to our two representatives to 2013, who will be with us in Toronto, and will be joining the 2013 Nominating Committee on our behalf.

2013 appointments/selections that the 2013 Nominating Committee will be responsible for: 3 Board members2 GNSO Council Appointments, including who of these appointees gets to hold voting seats on the GNSO policy CouncilCCNSO appointmentsALAC appointments
I am separately circulating a long list of reports and documents that support the work of the Nominating Committee. I know that many of you are strongly interested in the NC work, so am posting it to the full BC list, but the Secretariat will also put the links on the BC WIKI, for later and further reference. [See separate email].
Marilyn Cade, BC ChairOn behalf of the BC ExComm