[bc-gnso] UPDATE: FOR REVIEW AND VOTE: Alternative positions for ACDR proposal as UDRP Provider

Nat Cohen ncohen at riptide.com
Fri Apr 5 17:09:59 UTC 2013

As I'm sure everyone on this list fully realizes, accrediting a new UDRP
provider is no trivial thing.  Any panelist authorized by the ACDR will be
empowered to order the transfer of any of over a hundred million gTLD
domains.

The UDRP is not only being used to go after cybersquatters.  It is being
successfully misused as a cheap alternative to acquire domain names held by
small and medium businesses.

Because the NAF decided to accredit Mr. Nelson Diaz, the owner of
vanity.com was
ordered to transfer its rights to the 17-year old domain despite holding a
valid trademark on the term 'vanity.com' and operating a website at that
address, and despite a strong defense by our own Mr. Rodenbaugh.

http://www.thedomains.com/2012/06/20/vanity-com-lost-in-a-udrp-despite-pending-federal-court-case-asking-1m-for-a-domain-is-bad-faith/

Because the NAF decided to accredit Mr. Daniel Banks, the Korean dentist
who owned opendental.com lost his domain to a company that wasn't even in
existence at the time he registered the domain:

http://domainnamewire.com/2009/08/10/open-season-on-opendental-com/

Because WIPO chose to accredit Mr. John Swinson, DKB Data Services lost the
rights to its inactive domain dkb.com

http://domainnamewire.com/2009/10/08/arbitrator-hands-dkb-com-to-deutsche-kreditbank/

Many members of this group own domains that would be subject to transfer
using the same reasoning found in these decisions.

ICANN is overseeing a fundamentally flawed UDRP system that encourages
forum shopping and that does not standardize procedures among UDR
providers.  Lack of standardization would be a serious problem on its own,
but it is compounded by forum shopping that leads to a pro-Complainant
bias.

If we had any confidence that ICANN staff would act on our recommendation
to develop standards for UDRP administration, then I would be more likely
to vote for version #2.

In the absence of those standards being developed, our "qualified
endorsement" becomes an "unqualified endorsement".

Because ICANN has shown no inclination to develop standards for UDRP
administration, I believe it is premature to accredit any new UDRP
providers.

I vote for version #1.

Sincerely,

Nat Cohen