[bc-gnso] BC call Finance Update

Chris Chaplow chris at andalucia.com
Thu Aug 8 16:08:13 UTC 2013

Dear Members,

Please find below my notes for the short Finance presentation that we did
not have time  for on the call just now.

Happy to take any questions on line.

FY14 Draft Budget was (I assume) passed by the BFC yesterday and ahead of
the formal board approval on Aug 22nd

I expect the approval will be, as every year, very close to the draft. There
were two exception items added in Durban

One was 3.5$  for the Strategy Panels

Two Atlas II at large summit London 2014 0,7m$

Stakeholder comments were more stakeholder questions this year, and the
answers to questions published ahead of Durban were very bland and general.

There was a further opportunity to comment by August 4th but none of the SG
did comment. I was in two minds about its value.

Looking forward:

There will be a Budget Process Development Group , like last year. With a
number of calls between now and end of year to try to improve process ahead
of the FY15 round. Whilst Marilyn and I have represented the BC on this,
Xavier made clear in it is not a closed shop and any members are welcome.

Moving on the SO/AC support requests. We received the results of these at
the end of the Durban meeting. Elisa posted it to the BC list on the
Thurday. Here are the BC highlights.

We had just two approvals.    One was the newsletter and other printed
material for 8.000$

Another was to hold two or more outreach events for 10.000$, last year this
was rolled into the LA Jan intercessional so did not happen as outreach. So
Excom and member need to start planning this.

On the negative side others were rejected

Dev country  Leadership Development which had supported projects in Latin
America and Africa in FY13

Secretariat Support Funding was rejected again and there was a note about
further ICANN “in kind” staff support mechanisms.

Similar rejection for Banking services, with a note about help with a
solution.

Also of note:

GNSO Non Contracted parties leadership development travel funding pilot is
to be continued from FY13 to Fy14

Community Outreach Travel Pilot program. Community wide 75k to fund travel
to third party events to do outreach for ICANN.

Chris Chaplow
Managing Director
Andalucia.com S.L.
Avenida del Carmen 9