[bc-gnso] BC comment on singular plural

Andy Abrams abrams at google.com
Wed Aug 14 20:34:23 UTC 2013

Hi Mari Jo,

Thank you for your input - I think we're actually opposite each other in
the other pending car/cars case, so it's good to get other perspectives.
 You raise some very valid points, and I think the ICDR will likely agree
with your legal reasoning.  But speaking only for myself, my concerns are
not based on the application of trademark law at the top level.  Rather, as
an Internet policy matter, I respectfully believe that allowing generic
singular-plural TLDs will be confusing to consumers and bad for businesses
that wish to operate websites on one of the two TLDs.  Imagine a case where
a legitimate business is faced with negative PR, or worse, scams/phishing,
etc. because half of their prospective customers mistakenly go to used.cars
instead of used.car.  Secondly, simply as a matter of process, if is
literally impossible to win a string confusion objection unless ICANN had
already placed the strings in contention (thereby making the need for an
objection moot), it would have been nice to have that guidance prior to
everyone expending money and resources on these proceedings.  I guess we'll
learn very soon whether the remaining singular-plural decisions follow
suit...

Best,

Andy