[bc-gnso] Score 4 points for the BC

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Thu Feb 7 23:43:10 UTC 2013

ICANN posted a revised new gTLD Registry agreement (link<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/base-agreement-05feb13-en.htm>) and comment periods yesterday.

Buried in there are 4 points the BC has pressed for the past year:

Our first point:  there's a new Public Interest Commitments page (Specification 11) in the new Ry agreement.  It requires use of only registrars using the latest RAA (Registrar Accreditation Agreement).  This was #6 on our Toronto list (link<http://www.bizconst.org/Positions-Statements/Consensus%20Improvements%20to%20RPMs%20for%20new%20gTLDs.pdf>) and #4 in our Jan-2012 letter (link<http://www.bizconst.org/Positions-Statements/BC%20request%20for%20implementation%20improvements.pdf>).

Second point:  Specification 11 also says that all commitments and statements of intent from the new gTLD application are incorporated by reference in the Ry agreement.  And they will be enforceable by ICANN.  This was #7 on our Toronto list (link<http://www.bizconst.org/Positions-Statements/Consensus%20Improvements%20to%20RPMs%20for%20new%20gTLDs.pdf>) and #1 in our Jan-2012 letter (link<http://www.bizconst.org/Positions-Statements/BC%20request%20for%20implementation%20improvements.pdf>).

Score another point for our quest to let dot-brand TLDs skip having to use all registrars.  We first pressed for this in 2010 (link<http://www.bizconst.org/Positions-Statements/BC%20on%20Final%20App%20Guidebook.pdf>)  There was already an exemption request available, but now it's in the base agreement:
2.9(a)  All domain name registrations in the TLD must be registered through an ICANN accredited registrar; provided, that Registry Operator need not use a registrar if it registers names in its own name in order to withhold such names from delegation or use in accordance with Section 2.6.

Finally, we'll take a point for stimulating a public comment period on closed generic gTLDs.  (link<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/closed-generic-05feb13-en.htm>)   The BC doesn't have a position for/against closed generics, but we have been pressing ICANN to clarify how a registry can qualify for a Code of Conduct exception to allow ownership of all domain names and bypass use of all registrars.

More to come as we craft our BC comments on these changes.

Meanwhile, congratulations on 4 hard-won points for the BC team.

Executive Director
NetChoice
http://www.NetChoice.org and http://blog.netchoice.org
+1.202.420.7482