[bc-gnso] responding to GAC Advice on new gTLD Safeguards

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Mon May 13 21:31:22 UTC 2013

Let's not be afraid of calling for self governance and collaborative multi stakeholder governance.
That is what ICANN is supposed to be about.
Self governance in a space that is identified with an industry sector that is regulated [I think] has to include the government, and consumer protection authorities, and someone who represents registrants, and not just be about a registry wanting to control an industry space. An entity that wants to have a seal of approval for an industry string should want to have a self governance council of some sort to ensure their own integrity and ability to adhere to what they say they are doing.  And to support their distinctiveness.
Kids /Children is also an area where there is legitimate concern about a 'clean and safe' space. I am sure that those legitimate companies who market children's goods don't want to have child luring going on in an adjacent domain name that looks confusingly similar to theirs.:-)
The BC can call for innovation by the applicants and offer some ideas about self governance, but our comments  can't just be suggesting that it is okay to be industry insiders in such an advisory group. It needs to include consumer activists, and government, and be inclusive and representative.  Yes, that is a potential cost, but frankly, any applicant that wanted to operate an industry string should have already done this. The fact they haven't is distressing,
Perhaps some have, and we just haven't learned of it.
Example of iffor:  I don't see the need to over identify with .xxx but actually, also PIR has an advisory council [or something similar.   Let's go for a couple of examples. But iffor did a good job. Why not accept that?
So, two strong points: First, the GAC did its own homework, and we should not criticize the strings that they identified. Originally I didn't get it, so I did a bit on online research.  Turns out that Health and Fitnesses gyms are regulated in most countries -- apparently killing people by over exercising them on machines is a bad thing. :-) And food supplements are as well. :-) Long list of countries. Including Chile, Argentina, Mexico, S.Africa, Canada, New Zealand, US... etc.
How about proposing a self governing entity/council/group that includes industry professional associations; NGOs; independent experts; and consumer activists, plus governmental participants, as observer, suitable to the industry, and calling on the applicant to create and support the advisory group?
PIR and iFFOR are both examples.
Some country codes also do something similar.