[bc-gnso] FOR REVIEW: Latest draft of BC comments on Expert Working Group (EWG) for directory services (Whois)

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Mon Sep 2 15:49:22 UTC 2013

As a follow-up to Thursday's BC call, here's a new draft for member review.

First thing I did was re-read the EWG report on which we are commenting. (link<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/other/gtld-directory-services/initial-report-24jun13-en.pdf>)  It's also helpful to review FAQs published by the EWG (link<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/other/gtld-directory-services/faqs>)

Second thing I did was review prior BC positions on this, starting with our Jul-2011 "Response to WHOIS Policy Review Team Discussion Paper" (link<http://www.bizconst.org/Positions-Statements/BC_on_WHOIS_Review_Questions.pdf>) where the BC said:  "ICANN should also consider mechanisms to create and maintain a centralized WHOIS database."

Also see Jun-2012 BC comment on WHOIS Affirmation Review (link<http://www.bizconst.org/Positions-Statements/BC%20on%20WHOIS%20RT%20Final%20Report.pdf>), where we endorsed privacy/proxy obligations:
• Adopting agreed standardized relay and reveal processes and timeframes
• Conducting periodic due diligence checks on customer contact information;
• Providing clear and unambiguous guidance on the rights and responsibilities of registered name holders, and how those should be managed in the Privacy / Proxy environment.

And see our May-2013 comments on the new RAA (link<http://www.bizconst.org/Positions-Statements/BC%20Comment%20on%20final%202013%20RAA%20%5BFINAL%5D.pdf>), where we proposed Relay and Reveal obligations and timelines for privacy/proxy services.

Then I started with our 9-Aug draft comments and added discussion from 29-Aug BC member call.

Attached is my 2-Sep draft, plus a redline comparing with the previous draft distributed (9-Aug).

Please REPLY ALL with objections or comments before Thursday 5-Sep so we can meet the EWG deadline of 6-Sep.

Looking forward to an informed and respectful discussions, so we can get our thoughts to the EWG while they are working on their final report for October publication.

Executive Director
NetChoice
http://www.NetChoice.org and http://blog.netchoice.org
+1.202.420.7482