[bc-gnso] Registrant Data Request System (RDRS) Data Dictionary

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Sun Apr 23 22:08:49 UTC 2023

Yuko,

Thank you for sharing the proposed data dictionary/data model.

I will be in-flight during our 24-Apr small team call, so wanted to share these thoughts via email before the call.

Since Cancun, the BC has been pressing ICANN staff to share their data model for the Registrant Data Request System (RDRS).

We asked for the data model in order to understand whether RDRS would capture and retain enough detail to help us analyze the nature and origin of requests, evidence provided, reason given, etc.  Also whether the requests result in disclosures, and why disclosure was denied.

We are glad to see that the proposed (attached) data model does include the detail we sought.

However, Yuko’s email below indicates ICANN will not make the detail available to community members for analysis.

That’s different from when the BC agreed to proceed with SSAD Light.  At that time, the staff design paper<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/whois-disclosure-system-design-paper-13sep22-en.pdf> and addendum<https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2022/correspondence/ducos-to-gnso-council-07nov22-en.pdf> indicated access to data, even for non-participating registrars:

"The system will provide reporting on a periodic basis not to exceed the recommended durations. The exact form of the reporting is to be determined. It is envisioned that eventually the data will be made available through the Open Data platform for public consumption." (p.31)

Staff added this to the addendum<https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2022/correspondence/ducos-to-gnso-council-07nov22-en.pdf> at p.4:
“To facilitate the evaluation of the WHOIS Disclosure System, the small team will continue to work with ICANN Org to ensure that the necessary data is available to ensure the proper evaluation of the Whois Disclosure System, taking into account legal limitations that may exist to share certain information.”

As the BC representative on this Council small team<https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=186779415>, I am asked to continue pressing the need for someone ( ICANN staff or trusted experts ) to be prepared to perform detailed analysis of the data before drawing any conclusions about whether to proceed with a full-blown SSAD.