[bc-gnso] BC Comment on Powers in relation to UK-related domain name registries

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Thu Aug 31 17:23:25 UTC 2023

International Regulation and Trade team
UK Department for Science, Innovation and Technology

Subject: Proposed requirements for UK-related domain name registries when tackling domain name abuse

Please find attached a comment from the Business Constituency<https://www.icannbc.org/> (BC) of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).  Our constituency represents global businesses ranging from startups in economically disadvantaged regions to the Fortune 50.

The BC is concerned about the growth of domain name system (DNS) abuse, and has devoted resources both inside and outside the ICANN model to combat this persistent problem.  While we have been encouraged by industry efforts to dissuade such corrosive behavior, such steps do not fully address the misuse and abuse problem that has continued to expand.

On behalf of the businesses we represent, we welcome this consultation and encourage your office to continue this important discussion.

Thank you for the opportunity to submit comment on the draft proposal.

Sincerely,

Steve DelBianco
Vice Chair for Policy Coordination
ICANN Business Constituency