[bylaws-coord] Notes from Bylaws Coordination Group Meeting 26 May at 19:00 UTC

Grace Abuhamad grace.abuhamad at icann.org
Thu May 26 22:27:25 UTC 2016

Dear all,

Please find the notes and transcript of the Bylaws Coordination Group meeting. The recording is available at: https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p1fgfqc8kgw/

--Grace

Bylaws Coordination Group Meeting

26 May @ 19:00 UTC

This meeting is being recorded.

Press *6 to mute and unmute your phone line.

Notes

A few items to call to BCG's attention:

1. Grandfathering

?         Suggestion from Becky Burr to not have a separate clause for renewal coverage.

?         Support from Rosemary Fei for Becky's suggestion.

2. Gender diversity

?         Inclusion of gender diversity was not included in the Bylaws because it was not included in the CCWG-Accountability Proposal.

?         Approach supported by Becky Burr, Mathieu Weill, Thomas Rickert, Greg Shatan, Jordan Carter.

3. GAC changes from NTIA

?         Changes suggested to the GAC-related Bylaws would make the provision clearer and proposal is to move forward with the suggested  changes.

?         Support from Kavouss Arasteh, Steve Delbianco, Greg Shatan, Thomas Rickert, and Sidley Austin.

4. RySG recommendations on ATRT3

?         Is there a need to call out Ombudsman and Reconsideration Process per the RySG comments?

?         Decision to fix the opening line to say: " without limitation" and not make the inclusion of Reconsideration/Ombudsman in the text

Action: Make change to opening line ("without limitation") for section on ATRT reviews.

5. WHOIS/RDS timing

?         Inserted the date of 31 Oct 2016 as the latest date for ICANN to start the review without causing a Bylaws violation.

?         Mathieu and Cheryl have flagged a potential typo in that section raised in an email from Chuck Gomes (email has been forwarded to BCG list).

Other issues:

Have all the CCWG-Accountability comments been addressed?

?         Yes, and there are responses to each in the table. Some resulted in changes, and some did not.

?         Sidley and Adler have confirmed that all the CCWG-Accountability comments have been addressed in the table.

Articles of Incorporation

?         Steve Delbianco suggests a memo to clarify the status of ICANN's incorporation

?         General acceptance of the drafting of Bylaws and Articles (no modifications to Articles).

Action: ICANN to work with external firms to provide a clarifying memo on the status of ICANN's incorporation

Board approval of Bylaws and action for Articles

?         John suggests that the Board could approve the Bylaws and request that the Articles be posted for public comment (to ensure that a public comment takes place).

Is the BCG in agreement that the Bylaws are consistent with the Proposals as delivered in Marrakesh?

?         Bruce requests a response so that he can communicate the feedback to the Board for their call later today.

?         Mathieu applauds staff effort on the Bylaws revisions and believes the Bylaws are consistent with the CCWG-Accountability proposal.

?         Support for Mathieu's statements from Cheryl, Kavouss, Thomas

?         John thanks Sidley and Adler firms for their work and coorperation on the Bylaws effort.

Call closes at 20:00 UTC.

Chat Transcript