[cc-humanrights] Possible topics for follow-up paper

Niels ten Oever niels at article19.org
Wed Dec 10 00:52:35 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I hope this email finds you well.

To add some more content to the discussion, we have discussed writing
both a summary of the CoE report (on which Marilia is working), and a
follow-up paper. Joy, Monika and I have been talking about this
follow-up paper.

We are thinking about something not longer than 10 pages (because it
is unlikely people will read much more), and it should elaborate on a
some instances of human rights implications in the ICANN world that
can be simple and clear to help build understanding. This will then
help us build the case for the establishment of the Cross Community
Working Group, in which we'll have more time and space to work on
these issues (and how a more systemic approach to Human Rights in
ICANN would be beneficial).

I would like to propose the following subjects to you here. Do you
think (some of) these would be interesting, relevant and suitable for
such a paper? We tried to give attention to specific cases that are
not discussed yet in the CoE report. Looking forward to hear your
suggestions, comments and questions.

- -freedom of association
        naming rights INGOs/NGOs

- -privacy
        RAA -> exemptions

- -freedom of expression
         gTLDs (guidebook)
         .gay
         UDRP

- - right to fair trial
         Appeal mechanism
         Ombudsman

Looking forward to discuss.

Best,

Niels

- --
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint = 8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4 678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9