[cc-humanrights] Initial suggestions for possible goals of a CCWG on HR

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 00:59:38 UTC 2015

Dear all,

During our last call on Tuesday we discussed what could be some possible
goals of a cross-community working group on Human Rights. Our purpose with
this exercise was to enhance clarity among ourselves so we can be able to
raise the idea and get the reactions from the community.

This set of goals are just some initial thoughts and it would be wonderful
to have your comments and suggestions.

Best wishes,
Marília

*Cross-community working group for analyzing potential Human Rights
implications of ICANN’s policies and procedures*

Chartering organizations: (name the SOs and ACs)

Each of the participating Supporting Organizations (SOs) and Advisory
Committees (ACs) has adopted this Charter according to its own rules and
procedures.

Objective:

The CCWG on Human Rights would have the purpose to raise awareness, provide
information, facilitate dialogue and make recommendations to ICANN
community on the ways to better harmonize ICANN’s policies and procedures
with internationally recognized human rights standards, such as the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) and International Covenant on
Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). The CCWG will focus on the human rights
that are directly impacted by ICANN policy decisions and implementation

Scope of activities:

(i) To map and facilitate the production of information about current
ICANN’s policies and procedures that present an impact on human rights;

(ii) To provide information and advice to the chartering organizations and
to the broader ICANN community on how ICANN’s policies and procedures can
be developed and implemented consistent with internationally recognized
human rights standards. This input can inform the policy development
processes as defined in the ICANN Bylaws.

(iii) To propose procedures and mechanisms with the aim of producing
assessments on if and how policies and procedures under developed and/or
being implemented may impact on human rights.

(iv) To draft Position Papers and Statements as deemed appropriate, in
accordance with the rules of this Charter.

--
*Marília Maciel*
Pesquisadora Gestora - Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio

DiploFoundation associate - www.diplomacy.edu
PoliTICs Magazine Advisory Committee - http://www.politics.org.br/
Subscribe "Digital Rights: Latin America & the Caribbean" -
http://www.digitalrightslac.net/en