[cc-humanrights] Introduction

Lucy Purdon lucy.purdon at ihrb.org
Thu Sep 3 20:29:43 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I wanted to write a quick email to introduce myself and my colleague,
Motoko Aizawa from the Institute for Human Rights and Business (IHRB). We
are very pleased to be working with Niels on a follow up to Article 19's
June 2015 paper on ICANN's corporate social responsibility to respect human
rights.

In 2013, IHRB developed the ICT Sector Guide on Implementing the UN Guiding
Principles on Business and Human Rights for the European Commission,
together with the organisation Shift.

We intend to draw on this work as a starting point and explore ways it can
be applied to help ICANN navigate its responsibility to respect human
rights.

We will be looking specifically at how ICANN can develop human rights
impact assessments for policy development and approaches towards an ICANN
CSR report, including a transparency report, as outlined in the UN Guiding
Principles on Business and Human Rights. This paper will be presented at
ICANN54 in Dublin in October.

We are currently mapping existing examples of HRIA's, CSR reports and
transparency reports that could be helpful for ICANN to apply to its policy
development and operations. We aim to provide possible options and
recommendations, which will assist with the development of human rights due
diligence.

I'm afraid I can't make the call on Monday, but Motoko will join and listen
in if that's OK. And if we can reach out to you with some questions,
solicit opinions and test some ideas over the coming weeks, that would be
great too.

Many thanks, looking forward to working with you all. Please don't hesitate
to contact me with any questions.

Best,

Lucy

*Lucy Purdon*

*Project Manager: ICT*
*M* +44 (0)7966 798 831 *| T* +44 (0)203 411 4333 *| **S** lucypurdon*
*W* www.ihrb.org *|* *T*  <https://twitter.com/LucyPurdon>*@
<https://twitter.com/LucyPurdon>**lucypurdon*
*Bogot*á *| **Brussel**s * *| **Geneva* *| **London* *|** Nairobi* *|
**Washington
D.C.* *|* *Yangon*

<http://www.ihrb.org/digitaldangers>

[image: Description:
https://www.google.com/a/institutehrb.org/images/logo.gif?alpha=1]
<http://www.ihrb.org>
*Institute for Human **Rights and Business is the trading name of the
Institute for Human Rights & Bu**siness (IHRB). Office Address: 34b York
Way, London, N1 9AB, UK. Email: *info at ihrb.org*.  Registered office
address: 19c Commercial Road, Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN21 3XE, UK *| *UK
Company Number: 06882940 *|* UK Charity Registration Number: 1131790.    If
you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you must not use,
disclose, copy, distribute  or retain it or any part of it. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete or destroy all digital and paper copies. Thank you.*