[cc-humanrights] [cc-humanrights-research] draft vizualization HR table

zalnieriute . zalnieriute at gmail.com
Mon May 9 09:36:29 UTC 2016

Hi Niels,

Great job - also looks fantastic to me!

While I echo Vidushi's and Corinne's concerns, I think it might be useful
then to have two different visualizations.

To keep one like this (cause it is indeed super nice!) which is more
minimalist - because I think its also useful for people who have a bit of
knowledge on ICANN/IG; and another one with more context.

In my view this would be optimal, and also would allow us to have this very
wavy nice visual!

Best wishes,

Monika

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Niels ten Oever <niels at article19.org> wrote:

> Thanks for your input Corinne and Vidushi! I just sent your comments
> back to the designer. I would like to give her a bit of creative freedom
> and she what she does with your comments, I like it that someone who is
> new to the processes tries to make sense of it. Let's see what the next
> iteration is, if we don;t like it we'll start adding text.
>
> Am a bit afraid though it might become too text heavy, eventhough
> Corinne's example was rly nice.
>
> Cheers,
>
> ~n.,
>
> Niels ten Oever
> Head of Digital
>
> Article 19
> www.article19.org
>
> PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
>                    678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9
>
> On 05/09/2016 11:25 AM, vidushi at cis-india.org wrote:
> > Dear Niels,
> >
> > Thanks so much for this! The visualisation looks great to me, it does a
> > fantastic job of lending structure to different ICANN processes. I like
> > the horizontal flow!
> >
> > I had a couple of thoughts that I think could be useful in developing
> > the next iteration:
> >
> > 1. As we are aiming this work at newcomers, we could add some brief
> > context/make the connection of each right and why ICANN must be involved;
> > 2. I do agree with Corinne on the point of adding some background info
> > about ICANN somewhere in the visualisation. This would make it easier
> > for newcomers to add context to each right.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Vidushi
> >

> > ----- On May 8, 2016, at 6:16 PM, Corinne Cath <cattekwaad at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi niels,
> >
> >     Thanks for organizing all of this! The table is very nice. It is
> >     clean and concise. The only thing I worry about is that is still a
> >     lot of text and a little bland. I think it would be great if this
> >     dendrogram would be part of a larger visualization that also gives
> >     more background info about ICANN (beyond a glossary, which also
> >     seems very useful).
> >
> >     I am adding a link to a visualization
> >     <http://visual.ly/funding-final-frontier>made about the budget of
> >     NASA that I think does a good job at combining text with themed
> >     graphics, while not losing the ability to communicate the
> information.
> >
> >     Great first stab and look forward to seeing the next iteration.
> >
> >     ​Best,
> >
> >     Corinne ​
> >

> >     On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Niels ten Oever
> >     <niels at article19.org <mailto:niels at article19.org>> wrote:
> >
> >         Hi all,
> >
> >         After talking through all the details of human rights and ICANN
> >         policy
> >         with a designer she has taken a first stab at vizualizing the
> table.
> >
> >         Let me know what you all think and whether you like the
> direction in
> >         which she is thinking.

> [...]

----

Monika Zalnieriute, PhD

Melbourne Law School | The University of Melbourne I law.unimelb.edu.au I

Center for Media, Data and Society I Central European University I
cmds.ceu.edu I

Executive Committee I Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group I ICANN I icann.org I

Z E P H I R O : Progressive Platform for Human Rights I zephiroplatform.org

Centre for Internet & Human Rights I European University Viadrina I cihr.eu