[cc-humanrights] New Draft HRIA for PDPs - Questionnaire Model

Collin Kurre collin at article19.org
Thu May 3 19:37:33 UTC 2018

Greetings,

As mentioned below, a new draft Human Rights Impact Assessment for GNSO PDPs, dubbed the “Questionnaire Model”, was presented during the call today (attached below).

This is Version 1.1, incorporating some suggestions made during the call today. Other considerations and suggestions made during the call were captured at the top of the shareable version of the document (link on ICANN Human Rights website <https://icannhumanrights.net/documents/>, where you’ll also find the “Initial Sketch” presented last October). If you would like editing access to make suggestions to the Questionnaire Model, ask and permissions will be granted.

Please review and comment on this draft by Friday, May 25 so that we have time to incorporate suggestions ahead of the next call, which will take place the following week on June 1.

As expressed by participants during today's call, the possibility of an expedited PDP (EPDP?) being chartered to develop the GDPR compliance model could raise concerns not only about human rights, but about the integrity of the PDP itself as key steps such as the initial report and public comments period could be eliminated for the sake of time.

When reviewing the proposed “Questionnaire Model,” it could be useful to consider how it could be deployed as part of this EPDP. Not only would the GDPR conversation benefit from such a tool, but the shortened timeframe would allow us a unique opportunity to evaluate its effectiveness more quickly than usual. The tool could also be applied to ongoing PDPs such as the Review of All Rights Protection Mechanisms <https://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/active/rpm> and New gTLD Subsequent Procedures <https://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/active/new-gtld-subsequent-procedures> to test its utility and potentially answer questions raised about where it should fit in the process, how it should be completed, and by whom.

If you would like to learn more or become more involved in this work, please don’t hesitate to contact Michael or me. This is timely—and dare I say, exciting—work, and we can always benefit from another hand on deck!

Best regards,
Collin Kurre