[cc-humanrights] Meeting Friday

Raphaël BEAUREGARD-LACROIX raphael.beauregardlacroix at sciencespo.fr
Thu May 31 16:20:05 UTC 2018

Dear all,

Apologies in advance for not being able to make it to the call tomorrow
Friday.

Following up on my previous message: I suggest that we revisit the current
paper with the aim of finding a way to operationalize the HR bylaw.

More concretely, that would consist in giving meaning to "respecting
internationally recognized human rights as required by applicable law,"
keeping in mind the various limitations that precede or succede that line
in the bylaw(s).

The work involved in this approach would consist of research on actually
applicable HR law to ICANN as a California non-profit, both directly and
indirectly, the latter part being the most interesting. Indeed, by the
global character of its operations, ICANN and its activities may interfere
with governments' own "operationalization" of their HR commitments, such as
with the GDPR.

I have offered to coordinate progress on this paper. Please get in touch if
you would like to contribute, or have knowledge or experience that could
inform our research.

If any of you will be at EuroDIG in Tbilissi feel free to get in touch too!

Best,

Raphael

> PS - Webex link is: https://mytrials.webex.com/mytrials/onstage/g.php?
> MTID=e9c8a21c879e2140395e8228328d6aa3a
>

> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 12:22 PM, Michael Karanicolas <
> mkaranicolas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Hope everyone is well. Just reaching out to remind you all that the CCWP
>> on Human Rights has our next meeting on Friday June 1 at 13:00 UTC.
>>
>> We are attaching an agenda below - look forward to chatting on Friday!
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Michael and Collin
>>

>> *Agenda: Friday 1 June 2018*
>>

>>    -
>>
>>    Updates
>>    -
>>
>>       GDPR
>>       -
>>
>>       Human rights PDP paper
>>       -
>>
>>    ICANN62 Activities
>>    -
>>
>>       Reporting back from relevant sessions to share knowledge and
>>       coordinate action
>>       -
>>
>>    Potential IGF Workshop Proposal (NCUC)
>>    -
>>
>>       HR BYLAW: UNGPs / Corporate Social Responsibility
>>       -
>>
>>       ICANN ORG HRIA
>>       -
>>
>>       FRAMEWORK OF INTERPRETATION: CCWP’s efforts to develop compliance
>>       mechanisms
>>       -
>>
>>       OTHER COMMUNITY INITIATIVES

Raphaël Beauregard-Lacroix