[cc-humanrights] ICANN64 Update

Collin Kurre collin at article19.org
Sat Mar 16 03:51:00 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

I’m delighted to share that tangible progress was made toward the implementation of ICANN’s Human Rights Core Value at ICANN64! Some highlights:

PDP HRIA Model – We had a productive working session during our F2F meeting, which will inform the next iteration of the HRIA model (version 3.4). Examples of feedback received:
Further considerations of the rights of indigenous and disabled peoples;
Incorporation of elements of the HR Framework of Interpretation;
Inclusion of relevant resolutions, principles, and decisions made by IGOs in addition to applicable human rights law; and
Addition of “Explainer” tab, including normative standards for assessing severity of impact and other indicators.

Sub Pros – The Trial HRIA <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EKpMCef8kiZ2tJE2AU78q9_oeJehGbR7bWpQ5wt7D5I/edit#gid=853107611> was shared with the Subsequent Procedures Working Group (work tracks 1-4) during their F2F meetings in Kobe. Many of the assessment observations fed into substantive policy discussions, and recommendations were deemed useful by co-chairs Jeff Neuman, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, and other long-standing PDP members. This positive feedback is a good indicator for the viability of the current assessment framework.

GAC Implementation – In parallel, the GAC Human Rights International Law Working Group (HRIL WG) recently conducted a member survey regarding implementation options for the Human Rights Core Value. One of these options provided for the participation of the GAC in HRIAs or similar procedural steps established for PDPs. (Perhaps Jorge or Suada could tell us a bit more about this work and its reception within the GAC when they have a chance?)

Please feel free to elaborate or chime in with other thoughts / highlights coming out of ICANN64. We’ll gather these reflections and post a summary to the website once the meeting records have been posted.

Kind regards,

Collin Kurre
CCWP-HR Co-Chair