[cc-humanrights] CCWP-HR involvement at ICANN68 (GAC HRIA Launch)

Mallory Knodel mknodel at cdt.org
Wed Jun 17 12:08:25 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Congrats on the upcoming schedule and finishing up the assessment tool!
I will definitely try to be at the GAC meeting.

On refining the tool-- I've made a few suggestions. And while we should
have a finished version for the launch, I do think it's good to set the
expectation that this could shift over time: Seems like we'd benefit a
lot from continuing to refine the tool based on feedback and learning
during each assessment.

-Mallory

On 6/17/20 1:28 AM, Austin Ruckstuhl wrote:

> Hello CCWP-HR members,
>
> Your co-chairs have spent the past month working closely with the GAC
> HRIL WGleadership and we will be presenting at their upcoming GAC
> session called “*GAC Discussions on RPM and WS2 Recommendations”.* In
> lieu of a June meeting for our group, please plan to attend this
> session to be updated on our upcoming collaborative process for a GAC
> HRIA. The details of that session at ICANN68 are as follows:
>
> https://68.schedule.icann.org/meetings/xE6mtHd6N8ebmW3QL
> <https://68.schedule.icann.org/meetings/xE6mtHd6N8ebmW3QL>
>
> 05:00 UTC, 24 June 2020
>
> Zoom Meeting Link: https://icann.zoom.us/j/94642077830
> <https://icann.zoom.us/j/94642077830>
>
> Zoom Meeting ID: *946 4207 7830*
>
> In short, what we have done is adapted the HRIA tool we used to do our
> previous HRIA on the Sub Pros PDP. Instead of starting with an empty
> template (only columns and no rows), we have added 30 rows which spell
> out the core recommendations in the WS2 report. The idea is that this
> template can be used as a starting point for an HRIA of the GAC or any
> other SO/AC and simultaneously be used to spark a prioritization
> process and ‘identification of recommended next steps’ for any group.
> The tool is only meant to be a starting point. During the actual HRIA
> process, anyone who wishes could add rows to include broader issues
> related to the specific SO/AC not captured within the WS2
> recommendations.
>
> We only have one week left to refine the tool
> <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yuJuDXh_M9dvVhQWsH1pYS2MEpl-I2dDeSrWLy6rOwM/edit>
> and finish filling it in before we launch the GAC HRIA at ICANN68. If
> anyone would like to volunteer to help us complete the tool or liaise
> with the GAC in the coming months, please reach out to Ephraim or me.
> We would love your help and welcome your feedback. As a reminder, the
> ASO was not interested in working with us at this time, so this is
> your only opportunity to get your hands dirty in some fun human rights
> work for the time being.
>
> Thank you all for your feedback and time,
>
> Austin (& Ephraim)

Mallory Knodel
CTO, Center for Democracy and Technology
gpg fingerprint :: E3EB 63E0 65A3 B240 BCD9 B071 0C32 A271 BD3C C780