[Ccpdp-rm] NOTES & ACTION ITEMS | ccPDP3 -RM | 12 August 2020 (12:00 UTC)

Kim Davies kim.davies at iana.org
Wed Aug 12 18:54:00 UTC 2020

Hi Peter, Hi All,

The technical checks we perform we consider to be defined by staff as part of defining our operational procedures around the policies. With that said, we recognize there is specific interest by our customers in how we conduct them and we seek to engage the community effectively in redefining them.

The last comprehensive review of the tests was in 2007, as part of the preparation from moving to automation in root zone management, and at that time we did a ICANN public comment period to solicit feedback of all kinds. Since then we've made incremental updates, for example, adding DS and RDAP record checking — both fields that did not exist in 2007. In those instances, the approach was vetted within operational communities — the DS record checking approach was vetted as part of the broader engagement on signing the root, and RDAP checking has evolved based on our engagement with TLD operators.

With respect to gTLD pre-delegation testing, that is performed wholly separately to IANA, but we strive to ensure they are a full superset of the tests we do. Our aim is that a registry shouldn't be able to pass PDT and then fail IANA testing. We've worked with the vendor that performs PDT to ensure our independent implementations are aligned in the past.

I'll also note that our expectation is the tests are re-performed by the Root Zone Maintainer (Verisign) as part of their role of validating what we send them to implement in the root zone. So the subset of tests that relate specifically to RR-set evaluation need to be developed collaboratively with them and within their capacity to evolve their systems too.

My view is we are probably overdue for another broad revisit of the technical checks we do, and I'd like to again do that as a wide consultation. This year we are busily finishing our "RZMSv3" project that rewrites the root zone management system, and separates the technical checking component that will make it easier to evolve in the future. Part of the functionality improvements of RZMS will be the ability for TLD managers to squelch certain kinds of technical checks which should address some minor frustrations with how we do them today. Once that platform is in place we should be well positioned to have a dialogue about future revisions to our testing protocols. In the mean time, I know I have been informally keeping notes whenever ideas for improving the test regime have popped up in discussions that I have seen.

kim

On 8/12/20, 8:04 AM, "Ccpdp-rm on behalf of Peter Koch" <ccpdp-rm-bounces at icann.org on behalf of pk at DENIC.DE> wrote:

    Dear All,

    > Peter: Who has the change-control over the tests?  Technical checks are defined by PTI/IANA with a certain amount of community involvement. For gTLD pre-delegation checks, there are different conditions. Simply getting the history straight. Not policy, part of implementing the policy
    > Selina: need to verify with Kim

    I believe this and the questiomn regarding the pro-forma are covered in the
    slide deck presented during the 3rd June 2020 meeting.

    My point was that the change control over process would or should inform
    who to approach in case of a dispute, likely to start well below the review mechanism
    level.

    Thanks,
      Peter