[ccPDP4-IDNWG] Joint meeting: ccPDP4 IDN (full) WG and DES SG teleconference | 1 March at 13:00 UTC

Irina Danelia i.danelia at cctld.ru
Sun Feb 27 10:41:22 UTC 2022

Dear all!

Please accept my apologies for not being able to attend the last WG teleconference due to conflicting event.

I’d like to thank the subgroup for the work done and use this list to share my questions/concerns

1) the Additional Text Principle I (page 2 of Basic Policy proposals for IDN ccTLD String Selection Process document) says

“The DES sub group proposes:

If a the name of a Territory is removed from the ISO3166 because it is divided into two or more new ones or two or more countries have merged, the removal is considered a “trigger event” and causes the initiation of the process for the retirement of all the selected IDN ccTLD(s) (and their variants),which are a meaningful representation of the name of the Territory

Let’s take a hypothetical example for a kind of stress-testing :

Let’s imagine that that there are 2 countries South-East Lucubu (.lu) and North-West Lucubu (.lc). Both countries speak Lucubu language and use Lucubu script.  South-East Lucubu (.lu) got am IDN TLD which is the name of the country Lucubu (meaningful representation of the country Lucubu) in Lucubu language and script.

One day both country merge under the name United Lucubu that gets .lc country-code and .lu is removed from ISO list.

How will the proposed policy work in this case?

2) Section 1.3.1 (page 17), 1.3.2 (page 21), 1.3.3 (page 23) include the language:

“ICANN is not expected to actively seek confirmation of association or dis-association of an IDNccTLD string with the name of the Territory (of change of status of a language, change of status of the script).

However, if ICANN receives a valid request  for an IDNccTLD string for a Territory which is …. “

Does it mean that

a) even if the IDN string  is not associated with the name of territory or the language is not designated or the status of the script has changed, nothings will happen ( no steps to de-select and retire TLD will be taken) until the NEW request for an IDNccTLD string for a a Territory is received?

b) May or may not ICANN org take any actions on its sole discretion without such a request? My understanding is MAY NOT, but if so,  I’d appreciated clearer language

I’ll be happy to discuss during the next call

Best regards,

Irina