[Area 1] Sub Group 1 - Preliminary Draft

David W. Maher dmaher at pir.org
Fri Dec 12 17:51:45 UTC 2014

Plz see some comments below
David W. Maher
Senior Vice President – Law & Policy
Public Interest Registry
312 375 4849

From: Samantha Eisner <Samantha.Eisner at icann.org<mailto:Samantha.Eisner at icann.org>>
Date: Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:36 PM
To: David Maher <dmaher at pir.org<mailto:dmaher at pir.org>>, "ccwg-accountability1 at icann.org<mailto:ccwg-accountability1 at icann.org>" <ccwg-accountability1 at icann.org<mailto:ccwg-accountability1 at icann.org>>
Cc: Accountability Staff <accountability-staff at icann.org<mailto:accountability-staff at icann.org>>
Subject: Re: [Area 1] Sub Group 1 - Preliminary Draft

Hi -

I uploaded a background document that I was developing to give a high level overview of how we’ve gotten to where we are on the Reconsideration and Independent Review processes.  I already had it in progress, so I did not attempt to insert the information into David’s document, so that we could keep background separate from present state.

It would be helpful to understand the level of detail that you would hope to see regarding the SSR Review and ATRT reviews as part of this document – are we envisioning that we’ll have high level summaries of recommendations, or references to external documents?
DWM: I believe it would be more helpful to have the high level summaries.

I will build out some of the other sections tomorrow.

I’d also like to get your opinions on how much we should be identifying other items that have an impact on ICANN’s accountability outside of the redress mechanisms.
DWM: I favor a strong focus on redress mechanisms.
 I’m attaching the presentation that was given at ICANN 50 during the accountability session as a conversation starter for us about what else we think we should include here so that the CCWG can make assessments as to which areas are to be prioritized for attention.
DWM: This presentation is helpful until it reaches the conclusion that accountability is too complex to work.

Best,

Sam