[ST-WP] CCWG Stress Tests v10.3 as of Wed 29-Apr

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Wed Apr 29 14:25:37 UTC 2015

Thanks to the Stress Test team for discussion on today’s call.  As promised, here is v10.3 of Applying Stress Tests.  I made the in-line edits we covered on the call.  And I added two placeholder paragraphs for your consideration:

[placeholder for Do-It-Yourself paragraph:

Public comment participants may conceive of other contingencies and risks beyond the 26 stress tests identified in this section.  In that case, we encourage commenters to apply their own stress test analysis.  To do so, a commenter can examine ICANN’s present accountability mechanisms to determine whether they adequately address the contingency.  Then, the commenter can examine the proposed accountability enhancements in this document, and assess whether they give the community adequate means to challenge board decisions and to hold the board accountable for its actions.

For example, the stress test team evaluated contingencies that could generally be described as external events (cyber attack, financial crisis, etc.).  We discovered that while some risk mitigation was possible, it became clear that no accountability framework could entirely eliminate the risk of such events nor thoroughly alleviate their impact. Instead, it was critical to explore the ability of the community to hold ICANN board and management accountable for their preparation and reaction to the external events. The proposed accountability measures do provide adequate means to do so.

[placeholder for management summary paragraph requested by Mathieu:

The stress test exercise demonstrates that WS1 recommendations do enhance the community’s ability to hold ICANN board and management accountable, relative to present accountability measures.  It is also clear that the CWG proposals are complementary to CCWG measures.    One stress test regarding appeals of ccTLD revocations and assignments (ST 21) has not been adequately addressed in either the CWG or CCWG proposals, awaing policy development from the ccNSO.

We understand that staff will attempt to include v10.3 in the draft to be circulated for the full CCWG call at 5:00 UTC on Thursday.